This is a true story about "Love" and other four letter words... I had been dating a woman for about six months and had carefully avoided using the word "love." We both knew it.
One morning, after we had spent a lovely weekend in Thailand, I pulled the curtains open to see the most beautiful ocean view. "I love a view," I said.
"I love you too, " she said and rolled over. At that moment I knew it was over.
How do You Know She Loves You?
Here are the three tell-tale signs that the woman you are dating loves you:
• You had sex with her.
• She spends all your time together trying to change you.
• She doesn't say, "I love you." Women don't say it when they do, as frequently as men say it when they don't.
The Five Stages of Breaking Up
Rather than doing it in one swift painless blow, I've dragged it out into five distinct and unavoidable steps:
1. Contemplation: It usually occurs right after sex. Don't go with this immediate urge. Now is not the time. Just roll over and go to sleep like you always have.
2. Contemplate it some more: Run it by your friends. You know... those guys you blew off when you started seeing her.
3. Joke about it: Make your moments with her uncomfortable and pressured.
4. Just do it: (I would explain how, but that is beyond scope of this article.) Oh, one way is to get her drunk. You did it when you first slept with her. Now do it to break up with her. Trust me, it's the best way. Besides, while she's drunk, you can sleep with her one last time. But get out before she sobers up. That's how you got into the relationship to begin with.
5. Stalking: Just because you've stopped calling her, doesn't mean you have to stop seeing her. Many questions need to be answered, like: Who is she going out with now? Is she miserable now that you're gone? This includes calling and hanging up, and calling and crying. That is when you say, "I love you."
Beating Her to the Punch
There are two ways of beating her to the punch. The first way is to break up with her before she does it to you. And the second way is to literally punch her, because she's pissed.
Take her to dinner. Maybe the restaurant where you first took her. This way the thing goes full circle, like a ring. (Try to get that back, too.) Sit at exactly the same table, order the same thing, then ask the waitress out. It's that simple. That's the sensitive way, which is very popular lately. We no longer end it over the phone or on the answering machine. Today we talk it to death, then see each other's therapist.
There's the, "I-never-really-thought-that-we-were-dating" approach, which only works if you're dating an idiot. And finally, you could write an article about it and have her proofread it. That's what I did!